Langkawi

Langkawi

Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 19 - Thou shalt "toughen up a bit"

My colleague just emailed me this gorgeous link, of a very wise little girl giving sage big-sister advice to her little brother:

An Older Sister's Advice


Watch, you won't regret it - it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It reminded me of being little and confused, and my big sister would look out for me. She would frequently talk me out of doing silly things, she would stick up for me, and she would always have tonnes of fun things planned to keep me entertained when I was sad or when we were going on long drives (mostly to distract me from the inevitable spew-fest that my car travels always became, which can't have been much fun for her either, being trapped in the back seat with me!). There would be bags of games and fun puzzles and always lots of songs to sing.

On one very memorable occasion, she was even entrusted to "fix" my rather strange 3-year-old attempt at cutting my own fringe. She was 7, and, despite having far more advanced scissor skills than me, was (funnily enough) not an expert hairdresser! So hilarity ensued, resulting in tears and me asking my dad if he could just sticky-tape my fringe back on. Dad seemed to fix pretty much everything with stick-tape... and still does! Tee hee.

Up until the age of about 6, I truly believed that I'd end up being a big sister one day - not sure whether I just wanted a little sibling (someone else to be at the bottom of the pecking order, perhaps), or whether I just thought that every little girl got to be a big sister eventually (not sure how I thought my parents might feel about producing infinite amounts of children).

I was so convinced I was going to be big sister some day, but it never happened. And, as it turned out, I always seemed to be the youngest everywhere I went: the youngest niece, the youngest grandchild, the youngest kid in every class, the youngest person at work (not any more!), and in many ways I still feel like "the baby". At least, I still tend to keep things pretty infantile ... tee hee!

My big sister still looks out for me, and we still have lots of fun times together. She's probably the only person who will stick by me when I put ABBA on full-blast and dance around in my pyjamas with a glass of champagne, and who will always encourage (rather than judge) me in the eating of half-a-packet of Tim Tams. Hooray!

So keep your family close, fellow Bloggerifics - they are usually the only ones who will still love you the next day.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

Louki xxx



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that little video clip was mindblowing!
    I have to say, your memories of your big sister are pretty generous! I wasn't always protective or encouraging, and I could certainly hold my own when it came to the backseat chunderfest!!
    And needless to say my hairdressing skills have not improved, although I have inherited the family dexterity when it comes to sticky tape, bulldog clips and blutack!!
    But PLUS you still are a sweet and funny and silly and brilliant and talented and wise and endlessly fascinating lickle sister. And you still love me, even when I'm a grouchy, zitty boombah. So I feel very lucky indeed.
    Just promise me you'll never "toughen up". One of the best things about you is your capacity to honour your feelings, even if they make other people uncomfortable (e.g. "Don't be sad: I'll worry about you).
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to watch the clip (iPad doesnt always play nice), but I loved this post even without it. Kat is a lovely person and you are so lucky to call her "big sis". x

    ReplyDelete